From Jake's Kids Kitchen
We came across a Wheaties cereal box from 1999 with the Breakfast of Champions Bars recipe on the side and figured, why not share with our Jake's Kids followers? This iconic cereal box features Mia Hamm, who was the biggest superstar of the U.S. Women's World Cup champion team in 1999. These delicious bars are not only for breakfast! Snack on them any time of the day when you crave a little boost of sugary sweetness. With just the right amount of crunch, these bars will melt in your mouth. They also taste amazing when refrigerated.
You will need:
10 cups of Wheaties cereal
1 cup creamy peanut butter
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup corn syrup
1/4 butter or margarine (do not use spread or tubbed)
1/4 cup honey
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
1. Butter a 13" x 9" pan.
2. Measure cereal into a large bowl.
3. In a saucepan, heat peanut butter, sugar, corn syrup and butter/margarine to a boil over medium heat. Keep stirring. Remove from heat and stir in honey.
4. Pour mixture over cereal and keep stirring until evenly coated and then press into 13" x 9" pan.
5. Melt chocolate chips in saucepan over medium heat, keep stirring.
6. Remove from heat and spread melted chocolate over the bar mixture in pan.
7. Let cool before cutting. Store at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the honey