From the Kitchen of Angie St. John
We're into the New Year and I always like to try new recipes, especially fresh and cheerful ones like this recipe for Orange Cardamom Muffins. I never bake with cardamom enough, and I vow to use it more this year. Cardamom is a lovely spice, with an intense yet slightly sweet flavor. There are so many ways I want to bake with it and pair it up with other delicious tasting ingredients. This new recipe is sure to get you in the celebratory mood. Any way you choose to eat these muffins, you will be sure to love them. Whether they are hot out of the oven and slathered with melted butter or a few days old and a little chewier than the day before, they are still just as delicious. I meant to sprinkle some sugar on top before placing in them in the oven, but I totally forgot! So go ahead and sprinkle some sugar of your own on top. I hope you like this recipe as much as my family does and here's to a healthy and happy new year.
Yields 12-18 muffins
You will need:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk (any kind)
1/4 cup orange juice
Zest of one large orange, grated (I also like to just cut some rind off the orange and slice it thin, rather than grating)
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon heaping cardamom
Add a handful of berries if you wish - blueberries, cranberries, etc.
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line muffin pan with tin liners or butter muffin pan.
2. Whisk together all of the wet ingredients (eggs, oil, milk, orange juice).
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cardamom).
4. Fold wet ingredients into the dry mix, stir and add zest. Also add berries, if you decided to add them, and stir.
5. Pour batter into the muffin tins and sprinkle sugar on top.
6. Bake for 20-22 minutes until edges turn golden brown. You can also insert a toothpick in the center of a muffin, if it comes out dry, your muffins are ready!
7. Serve warm and melt butter on top for added yumminess!