From the Kitchen of Angie St. John
My family enjoys making these when winter is still around because the lemon flavor makes us think of warmer days and sunshine. It's a quick & simple recipe that transforms a morning breakfast or afternoon snack into a yummy treat filled with smiles. If you opt out of the sugar glaze, these toast up well and are delightful with some butter too!
You will need:
2 cups flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar
Juice of 1 lemon (you can add zest, but not necessary)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking Soda
1 small cup of Greek plain yogurt
2 eggs (large)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup melted and cooled unsalted butter (1 stick)
3 tablespoons poppy seeds
For the glaze (optional)
1 cup confectioners sugar
Juice from 1 Lemon
Yields 1 dozen (12 muffins)
1. Preheat oven to 375 and line a regular sized muffin tray with muffin cups.
2. In a bowl, add sugar.
3. In another bowl, add flour, baking powder and baking soda.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and melted butter.
5. Pour wet ingredients into the bowl with flour, baking powder and baking soda. Stir gently and then add the sugar and stir a bit more and then add your poppy seeds, stir again.
6. Divide batter into muffin cups and bake for 18-20 minutes (check with toothpick in center of muffin to make sure they are done). When toothpick comes out clean, they are ready to take out of the oven. Let cool on a wire rack. If you decide to glaze your muffins, let the muffins cool completely before adding the drizzle. Enjoy!