From the Kitchen of Angie St. John
It's time to think about pumpkin everything! First up, pumpkin cupcakes! This chocolate cupcake recipe is my go to for cakes and cupcakes. So I know it pairs well with any amazing frosting, that’s where our pumpkin frosting comes in; the comfort of the canned pumpkin paired with the pumpkin spice leaves you wanting more while you rush to pull out your fall sweaters! Your whole family will adore this recipe. We loved eating ours with a cup of coffee, first thing in the morning.
Yields 24 cupcakes
For the cupcakes, you will need:
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup milk (any type)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
For the delicious pumpkin frosting, you will need:
1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice or cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar (more if needed)
Milk (if needed to blend)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350, line muffin tray with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl or your stand mixer, whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat with a mixer on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in the boiling water (your batter will be thin). Pour batter halfway into each cupcake liner.
3. Bake for 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and remove cupcakes from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely before frosting.
1. Add butter, canned pumpkin, cinnamon, and vanilla to a stand mixer or medium sized bowl and stir.
2. Add in your powdered sugar, one cup at a time until you get your desired consistency. Add milk little by little if you need more consistency.
3. Use a piping bag with a fun tip to spread over cooled cupcakes. If you don't have a piping bag, use a butter knife and spread away! Decorate with fun Halloween candy or sprinkle a little cinnamon on top for an added touch.