From the kitchen of Angie St. John
These cupcakes are beyond sweet and delicious. Make them for a birthday party, a get together, a Halloween party or just because you want to! I was so happy when I tried freezing the Butterfinger bar before peeling, a tip that really worked, a total game changer. After making this candy bar cupcake recipe, our family made a long list of other candy themed treats - stay tuned! What's your favorite? Tag us on Instagram with your favorite baked candy bar treat!
Yields 24 cupcakes
You will need:
For the cupcakes
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup milk (any milk will do)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
For the candy bar frosting
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 cups confectioner's sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3-4 Butterfinger candy bars
1. Put candy bars in the freezer.
2. Pre-heat oven to 350, line muffin tray with cupcake liners.
3. In a large bowl or your stand mixer, whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat with a mixer on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in the boiling water (your batter will be thin). Pour batter halfway into each cupcake liner.
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and remove cupcakes from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely before frosting.
To make the frosting
1. Melt your butter and then stir in cocoa powder. Alternately start adding confectioner's sugar and milk, beating to your desired consistency, we like ours smooth and fluffy. Stir in vanilla. If needed, add more milk one teaspoon at a time. Use a piping bag or butter knife to frost each cupcake.
2. Remove candy bars from freezer. Using a vegetable peeler, hold Butterfinger bar over a bowl and start peeling the chocolate to make shavings. Once you get to the inside of the bar, break it up into small chunks. Sprinkle candy chunks and chocolate shavings over frosted cupcakes.