From the Kitchen of Angie St. John
I’ve been on a cupcake roll these days and I have to say, I don’t think anyone minds. We like to keep our cupcakes in the fridge. To me, the cake and frosting are just that much better super cold, especially on these hot summer days! Keeping up with the holiday themed cupcakes, these are sure to be a hit at the 4th of July party you’re heading too this weekend. I hope you and yours enjoy these as much as we did. We even found star cupcake liners to match the cupcake! I say keep the holidays coming, it’s always so much fun to pair them up with food!
Yields 24 cupcakes
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup milk (any kind)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup boiling water
1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons milk (any kind will do)
3 drops food coloring, or as needed, for the red & blue
White Chocolate Drizzle can be made with a block of meltable white chocolate or white or colored melting wafers
1. Heat oven to 350°F and line muffin pans with cupcake liners
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and beat on medium speed of mixer for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into muffin tins, about a little more than halfway up.
3. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans to wire racks. Let cool before frosting.
Make the frosting:
1. Cream butter using a hand mixer, the paddle attachment of a stand mixer, or a wooden spoon until smooth and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners sugar until fully mixed. Beat in vanilla extract.
2. Pour in milk and beat for an additional 3 to 4 minutes. Separate frosting for your red, white and blue in bowls. Add food coloring to each one and beat for thirty seconds until smooth or until desired color is reached.
Make white chocolate drizzle topping:
1. Line a cookie sheet with wax paper
2. Melt your chocolate/wafers in a microwave or in a double broiler on your stove top. Separate and use food coloring to dye.
3. Drizzle melted chocolate along the wax paper to your liking and then freeze for 20 minutes. Once it’s frozen, you can break off bits and pieces and top it however you’d like on the cupcakes.